How do I know James?
James owns a company called Content Snare that helps freelancers and agencies get content from clients.
This was a really fun episode because James and I are in the same circles around the web, we just haven’t had an opportunity to meet yet in person being on opposite sides of the planet and all. We both have a fondness for automation that, well can border on the line of obsession.
So when James DM’d me and invited to me come onto his podcast, Agency Highway, it was a no-brainer. I knew that we’d be unpacking so much together.
In this episode, I had a chance to talk about the following:
Demand higher rates by following this specialization framework
In case you don’t want to read the rest of this post, you can check out the full episode for all the details.
And for the second podcast we did together on Lead Generation
In the episode, which was jammed pack with laughs, I shared a variety of things including:
- What was the best thing that happened to me this year
- How taking time out to reflect on your business can help in so many ways
- How niching helps you raise your rates, and not niching leads to burnout
The main takeaways from this show are:
- Fears are just excuses
- You will leave money on the table when specializing, but the opportunity to deliver better solutions to fewer clients positions you as an expert that commands higher prices.
- Get a list of red flags to filter clients through when going through your sales process so you don’t end up working with bad clients.
- Put everyone through your vetting process, especially referrals from previous clients. Good chance if they are from your “generalist” days, they won’t be ideal for you now.
Definitely go check it out.
If you have a chance too, check out a few of the other episodes as well.
Be a Part Of The Community
More episodes in this topic:
How to create memorable moments?
How to stop the feast or famine cycle?
How to demand higher rates by specialization?
What is niching down like?
🙏🤘 Thank you for being awesome. I appreciate you!
I’ve reached my goal, what’s next?
How to Find your Freelance Niche
How to ditch hourly rates?
What 3 things do you grab in the zombie apocalypse?
How to unexpectedly delight clients?
Best of Season 3 - Get out of the comfort zone
Best of Season 3 - Building Relationships
S06 E12 - Undercharging, Targeting the Wrong Audience, and What You Should Do About It with Alex McClafferty
S03 Bonus - Tom McFarlin on Blogging, Balancing Work and Family, and Building a Business that Lasts
S09 E11 - Differentiation, Reputation, and Pivoting From the Top-Down with Peep Laja
S01 E11 - Kai Davis helping freelancers get more clients with outreach