Today's co-host is Miles Beckler. Miles is a veteran online entrepreneur with 17 plus years of experience and expertise in digital marketing and affiliate marketing. He started with MySpace back in 2003, then built an agency, and is now working with his wife full-time on their meditation business.
Miles is on a mission to help business owners focus on what matters most by sharing exactly what's working in internet marketing today. There's always money to be made somewhere, but that’s not what drives him; it’s being of service to others. He’s passionate about spirituality and mindfulness, which is what led to Ask-Angels.com - the business that he and his wife run together.
As the economic landscape continues to shift, we’re seeing many new opportunities crop up while other businesses and sectors completely disappear. Flexibility and a willingness to try new things have always been an important part of successful entrepreneurship, but it’s now truer than ever.
In this episode, we dive into feeling awkward about publishing, reflecting on your why, and what that means for you when you get punched in the face. We also talk about where, how, and why Miles got into digital marketing, why affiliate marketing isn't just links, and how to figure out where to start creating content when you’re the face of your business.
[Tweet "'My first business all came crashing down because I wasn't building relationships, I wasn't being the main point of contact. I was just a middleman and I think that's affiliate marketing done wrong.' @MilesBeckler"]
- Affiliate Marketing is a great way to deliver what you need to your high-end clients while still capturing revenue from a segment that isn’t ready to buy your services.
- If you’re building an email list, it’s important to remember the relationship you have with those subscribers and humanize them instead of treating them as numbers. When the time is right, they will look to you for expertise and/or recommendations in your specific niche.
- Affiliate marketing done right is, “I use this, I love this. It creates these results for me. Let me show you how I use this tool to get these results. And by the way, if you want it, you can just click right here.”
- If you’re getting started as the face of your brand, you need to determine your medium (writing, video, audio, etc.) and then be dedicated to creating that content on a regular basis.
Links and Important Mentions
- Miles Beckler’s Site
- Miles’ YouTube Channel
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? by Seth Godin
- Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene M. Schwartz
- Jab Jab Jab Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World by Gary Vaynerchuck
- Shure MV-88 Digital Mic
Stay in Touch
Season 8: Building Your Business
More episodes in this season:
S08 E01 - Socializing for Introverts and Organizing Events with Emily Leach
S08 E02 - Experimenting, Getting Unstuck, and Why You Should Build a Team (Even If You Don’t Want To) with Matt Giovanisci
S08 E03 - Day Rates, Attracting the Right Clients, and Building a Business Around Your Life with Sarah Masci
S08 E04 - Confidence, Solving Problems, and Playing the Long Game with Mark Asquith
S08 E05 - Affiliate Marketing and Humanizing Relationships with Miles Beckler
S08 E06 - Trusting Your Instincts and Launching Products with Ken Westgaard
S08 E07 - Streamlining Your Business and Trusting the Journey with Erin Flynn
S08 E08 - Teaching Online and Embracing Opportunities with Reuven M. Lerner
S08 E09 - Bringing Service-Based Businesses Online and Dealing With Change with Gina Horkey
S08 E10 — Putting in the Work and Communicating Your Value with Kim Doyal
S08 E11 – SEO, Content Marketing, and Skyscraper Strategies with Alex Panagis