Today’s co-host is Gina Horkey. Gina specializes in helping people learn hard digital marketing skills to launch their own online service-based businesses.
Gina’s background includes professional writing, online business consulting, and a decade of experience in the financial services industry.
After leaving the corporate world in 2014, Gina started by offering her services online. She eventually pivoted to teaching people what she was learning and all of the things that were working well for her.
Throughout our conversation, Gina talks about how to adjust to the new world of shutdowns and moving online, how to pivot if you’ve lost some of your income due to budget cuts, and lesser-known tactics of using other social media platforms to bolster your online presence.
In this episode, we dive into how the freelancer economy has been changing in recent years and what has changed as a result of the pandemic. We also touch on how to adjust if you’ve lost some income during this time.
[Tweet "'When you're getting started with offering services online you should take a skills inventory of what you know how to do right now. That kind of gets your mind revved up to learn new things.' @Gina_Horkey"]
- Offering services online has become more critical than ever, even for non-digital services. Those that don’t adapt to new ways of doing business will be left behind.
- You may have to get back out there and do marketing for yourself again. Don’t be afraid to take smaller projects even if it’s not what you’re used to.
- Focus on increasing your revenue incrementally instead of in large chunks (E.g. $500 more a month instead of $3,000).
- Facebook groups are great places to look for work because they’re tailored by industry and/or niche.
- There’s plenty of room in the podcast space and an audience for what you want to talk about. It’s a great way to increase your online presence and find new customers.
Links and Important Mentions
- Gina Horkey
- Horkey Handbook
- Double Your Freelancing
- Ask Rezzz
- Podcast Production School
- Gina on Twitter
- Gina on Facebook
- Gina on YouTube
Stay in Touch
Season 8: Building Your Business
More episodes in this season:
S08 E01 - Socializing for Introverts and Organizing Events with Emily Leach
S08 E02 - Experimenting, Getting Unstuck, and Why You Should Build a Team (Even If You Don’t Want To) with Matt Giovanisci
S08 E03 - Day Rates, Attracting the Right Clients, and Building a Business Around Your Life with Sarah Masci
S08 E04 - Confidence, Solving Problems, and Playing the Long Game with Mark Asquith
S08 E05 - Affiliate Marketing and Humanizing Relationships with Miles Beckler
S08 E06 - Trusting Your Instincts and Launching Products with Ken Westgaard
S08 E07 - Streamlining Your Business and Trusting the Journey with Erin Flynn
S08 E08 - Teaching Online and Embracing Opportunities with Reuven M. Lerner
S08 E09 - Bringing Service-Based Businesses Online and Dealing With Change with Gina Horkey
S08 E10 — Putting in the Work and Communicating Your Value with Kim Doyal
S08 E11 – SEO, Content Marketing, and Skyscraper Strategies with Alex Panagis