Today’s co-host is Joe Casabona, podcaster, web developer, and course creator. Joe helps creators launch their own podcasts while also hosting and producing the product development podcast How I Built It.
Joe began as a web developer specializing in WordPress, but he felt it necessary to transition his audience from DIYers to those looking for full service. With encouragement from peers and mentors, Joe found his niche in the podcasting space.
To grow his new audience, Joe offered free consultations. While free sessions may not be lucrative off the bat, Joe gained invaluable information about common creator struggles. He used that information to improve his educational content and market his courses in a way that spoke to creator concerns.
In this episode, Joe talks about everything podcast-related, from picking a topic to getting rid of nerves, to sustaining your show long-term.
“We’re still at the beginning of podcasting. So if you’re worried that, ‘oh, nobody wants to listen to me talk about this’ you're wrong. Just figure out why you want to start a podcast, what’s going to drive you, and record those first few episodes.” ~ @jcasabona
- Simply presenting a digestible solution to someone’s problem is enough to build an audience, especially if you’ve done your market research and can anticipate your audience's main questions and concerns.
- When it comes to podcasting, practice makes perfect. You don’t need perfect sound and perfect video to succeed.
- When choosing a topic, think about why you want to start a podcast. Is it to help people? To establish yourself in a field? To explore a topic? Figuring out your why will help you stay the course.
- You can always repurpose the content you have on other mediums if you’re running low on episode ideas. Keep a notebook and write down ideas whenever they come to mind.
- Oftentimes the most popular episodes aren’t the episodes with big-name guests. Your audience will respond more to people who feel relatable to them.
- Contact Joe
- How I Built It
- Joe on Twitter
- Podcast Liftoff
- Pat Flynn
- Start With Why
- Podcast Bookers
- WP Builds Podcast
- Peter Hollens
- Tim Campos
- Lume Cube
Links and Important Mentions
Stay in Touch
Season 9: Building a Profitable Service
More episodes in this season:
S09 E01 - Prioritizing Process, Delegating Smart, and Doing What You Love with Austin Church
S09 E02 - Staying Curious, Capitalizing on Your Network, and Adding Value with Samar Owais
S09 E03 - Intentional Parenting, Handling Social Media, and Scheduling Me-Time with Rob Roseman
S09 E04 - Finding Your Niche, Building an Audience, and the Art of Podcasting with Joe Casabona
S09 E05 - Doing Your Research, Communicating ROI, and Innovating Outside Your Niche with Eman Zabi
S09 E06 - How To Pivot, The Secret to Great SEO, and Why Business Is More Important Than Craft with Tom Hirst
S09 E07 - Stacking Power-Ups, Maintaining Focus, and the Art of the Steal with Eric Siu
S09 E08 - Understanding Emotional Data and Listening to Your Audience with Adrienne Barnes
S09 E09 - Launching a Business, Finding Balance, and Staying Valuable
S09 E10 - How Specialties Lead to Priceless Referrable Moments with Chase Dimond
S09 E11 - Differentiation, Reputation, and Pivoting From the Top-Down with Peep Laja