Today's guest is Mike Killen. Mike helps marketers and service-based businesses build marketing funnels and get better at sales. Mike has also written a book called From Single to Scale.
Mike has been in the trenches, successfully building systems and automations and knows what he's talking about. He's super passionate about helping people create better funnels and drive more sales.
In this episode, we dive into what a sales funnel is and why it has a bad rap. We also talk about why it's important to do everything manually, before thinking about automation. Throughout the episode, we touch on the framework behind doing discovery calls and how to ask the tough questions, including the big one (budgets!) in a way that gets you the answers you need.
[Tweet "'The reality is everyone is a salesperson. Every single person at some point has to convince someone that their argument or their side of the conversation is right, that their's is the best option.' @mike_killen"]
In this episode Mike talks about:
- The real definition of a funnel and why it sometimes gets a bad reputation.
- What you're probably doing wrong when it comes to discovery calls.
- Why he's made a mission out of getting sales training into the hands of children and schools.
- Sales funnels don't create customers out of thin air, they just make your current customer attraction method better.
- You can't automate something that you're not already doing manually — automation only improves current tactics.
- Don't start selling right away on a discovery call. Ask a lot of questions and get a feel for the business you'll be working with instead of trying to sell them.
Important Mentions in this Episode
Season 5: Selling Your Service
More episodes in this season:
S05 E01 - How to elevate and position your business with Rob and Kennedy from ResponseSuite
S05 E02 - How to Delight and Engage Your Users with Mike Kelly
S05 E03 - How to Overcome Your Fears and Become an Audio Influencer with Mark Asquith
S05 E04 - Screening Your Clients and Scaling Your Business with Jared Gold
S05 E05 - Simplification, Experimentation, and Connecting With Your Customers with James Rose
S05 E06 - How to get out of presentation mode, master client communication, and price on value with Blair Enns
S05 E07 - Niching Down, Podcasting, and Shaping your Career with Matt Johnson
S05 E08 - Self-Promotion, Social Media, and Content Marketing with Ilise Benun
S05 E09 - How To Use Marketing Funnels, Discovery Calls and Automations to Get More Sales with Mike Killen
S05 E10 - SEO, Networking, and Niching Down with Josh Garofalo
S05 E11 - Overcoming Fear, Saying No With Confidence, and Finding your Ideal Client with Adam Pierno