Today’s guest is Ilise Benun. Ilise is the founder of Marketing Mentor, an agency that helps creative solopreneurs, consultants and owners of small creative businesses find the right clients and avoid the feast or famine cycle.
Ilise started her career in New York, helping people in her network become more organized. She quickly found that disorganization was major part of what kept people from marketing and self-promotion, and she saw an opportunity. Ilise has written seven books, hosts two podcasts, and is adjunct faculty at Maryland Institute College of Art.
In this episode, we dive into how to get clients with bigger budgets as well as how creative professionals, web developers, and web designers can be great at the business side of things.
In this episode Ilise talks about:
- How she got started in the marketing world and helping creative freelancers get organized and self-promote.
- How to avoid common marketing pitfalls, and do marketing the right way.
- How social media fits within your marketing for your business and what you can be doing differently.
- Once you can identify ideal clients or ideal markets, then it becomes very clear how to reach them.
- A LinkedIn profile and smart marketing website (speaking to the clients’ needs) will enable you to build your marketing foundation.
- The expectation of social media is that it’s easy to bring business in. It’s an excellent tool, but you need to asses its value appropriately and use it as such.