Today’s co-host is Eric Siu, CEO of Clickflow and digital advertising agency Single Grain. Eric’s recent book, Leveling Up: How to Master the Game of Life, is all about stacking your “power-ups” to achieve something greater.
Eric learned many life lessons from poker – how to guard your emotions when the waves get rocky, understanding where to pick your bets, and never playing beyond your means.
After years of developing a good eye and a clear mind, Eric was leading marketing at a startup when, pressed with a make-or-break moment, he made the right bet and led his company straight to success. Now Eric runs two businesses and uses the power of focus and habitual growth to continue compounding his wins.
In this episode, Eric talks about how maintaining simple habits can transform your business, the power of giving back, and why everyone should steal from time to time.
“I talk about 15 power-ups in the book, but there’s actually a lot more than that in life. Power-ups can be habits, they could be mental models, and there’s a lot of tools. And so the goal in life, one of the things that’s going to help you grow and level-up to your highest potential, is to just go around collecting things and learning and just getting better and better. Getting that one percent better every single day. And part of that involves getting different power-ups.” ~ @ericosiu
- You can’t be successful trying to do everything all at once. The more you can focus on reaching one destination, the more likely you are to reach it.
- Stack great habits on top of one another to “win” the game of life and outperform your competitors.
- Even the greats took inspiration from others. “Stealing” a great idea and making it your own will help you move the needle.
- Rather than generating leads through cold calls, provide as much free value as you can for others. Find out what people want and give it to them!
- Eric on Twitter
- Leveling Up: How to Master the Game of Life
- Single Grain
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Check out a bonus episode with Eric
Links and Important Mentions
Stay in Touch
Season 9: Building a Profitable Service
More episodes in this season:
S09 E01 - Prioritizing Process, Delegating Smart, and Doing What You Love with Austin Church
S09 E02 - Staying Curious, Capitalizing on Your Network, and Adding Value with Samar Owais
S09 E03 - Intentional Parenting, Handling Social Media, and Scheduling Me-Time with Rob Roseman
S09 E04 - Finding Your Niche, Building an Audience, and the Art of Podcasting with Joe Casabona
S09 E05 - Doing Your Research, Communicating ROI, and Innovating Outside Your Niche with Eman Zabi
S09 E06 - How To Pivot, The Secret to Great SEO, and Why Business Is More Important Than Craft with Tom Hirst
S09 E07 - Stacking Power-Ups, Maintaining Focus, and the Art of the Steal with Eric Siu
S09 E08 - Understanding Emotional Data and Listening to Your Audience with Adrienne Barnes
S09 E09 - Launching a Business, Finding Balance, and Staying Valuable
S09 E10 - How Specialties Lead to Priceless Referrable Moments with Chase Dimond
S09 E11 - Differentiation, Reputation, and Pivoting From the Top-Down with Peep Laja