Today’s co-host is Samar Owais, email conversion strategist and copywriter for SaaS and e-commerce brands. Alongside helping brands increase conversations and boost sales through email marketing, Samar developed a course, eCommerce Email Boostcamp, for aspiring email professionals.
When her husband’s office relocated and they made the hard decision to move, Samar suddenly had time to take her freelance business full-time. She dove into online copywriting courses and quickly discovered her passion for email marketing.
Samar attributes her success to an innate curiosity and her vast professional network. A lover of learning, she’s an avid course-taker and leans on her freelance community for new leads and writing wisdom. She also took early advice and became her first client, writing copy and sales materials for her own business early on.
In this episode, Samar talks about easy ways to add value and win over clients, and why curiosity and expanding your network are keys to accelerating growth.
“I’ve always felt that communities can make or break your business. And if you can help somebody, start with that. Because we all know something or someone that we can help.” ~ @samarowais
- When running an A/B test, ask your audience directly: what made you click on this email? The best research comes straight from the source.
- Curiosity is key to expansion. Always ask why things are done a certain way and don’t be afraid to challenge the status quo.
- Look to expand your network. Your network will help you find leads, vet clients, and guide you in the right professional direction.
- No matter your client or industry, focus on adding value first. Adding value can be anything from sending an article, review, or teardown. The more you can add value, the more you’ll stay top of mind for potential clients.
- Samar on Twitter
- Samar on LinkedIn
- Samar’s Website
- The eCommerce Email Bootcamp
- Emails Done Right
- Copy Hackers
- Fix My Churn
- The 10x Freelance Copywriter
- Val Geisler
- Joanna Wiebe
- Amy Posner
Links and Important Mentions
Stay in Touch
Season 9: Building a Profitable Service
More episodes in this season:
S09 E01 - Prioritizing Process, Delegating Smart, and Doing What You Love with Austin Church
S09 E02 - Staying Curious, Capitalizing on Your Network, and Adding Value with Samar Owais
S09 E03 - Intentional Parenting, Handling Social Media, and Scheduling Me-Time with Rob Roseman
S09 E04 - Finding Your Niche, Building an Audience, and the Art of Podcasting with Joe Casabona
S09 E05 - Doing Your Research, Communicating ROI, and Innovating Outside Your Niche with Eman Zabi
S09 E06 - How To Pivot, The Secret to Great SEO, and Why Business Is More Important Than Craft with Tom Hirst
S09 E07 - Stacking Power-Ups, Maintaining Focus, and the Art of the Steal with Eric Siu
S09 E08 - Understanding Emotional Data and Listening to Your Audience with Adrienne Barnes
S09 E09 - Launching a Business, Finding Balance, and Staying Valuable
S09 E10 - How Specialties Lead to Priceless Referrable Moments with Chase Dimond
S09 E11 - Differentiation, Reputation, and Pivoting From the Top-Down with Peep Laja